Basic Training Bureau
Basic Training Bureau
There have been changes in the required equipment list. The new BPOT Equipment List includes black, not gray, gym attire and 2” white lettering is required on gym T-shirts and sweatshirts.
The agency head or designee will certify that the named Cadet has completed a recognized First Aid course and an Adult, child and infant CPR course, within the preceding 12 months of the scheduled start date of the academy class. The training must be given by a trainer certified* to teach CPR and first aid. This certification must be received by the Academy as part of their application for admission and certification two weeks prior to the scheduled class start date.
- Each Basic Police Officer Training (BPOT) Academy Class size is limited to 60 students.
- The Basic Training Bureau will process applications on a first come first served basis. The applications will be placed on the eligible to attend list based upon the date a complete application is received. Applications received that are not complete will be returned and will not be considered for eligibility until submitted as a complete package. An application package will not be considered complete until all forms are correctly completed and all required supporting documents are submitted.
- If the Bureau receives more than 60 complete application packages, the excess applicants will be placed on a waiting list, again based upon the date of receipt of a complete application. Staff will review faxed or e-mailed copies, but must be in receipt of original and/or notarized copies to consider an application package to be complete.
- All applicants must attend the mandatory assessment for the BPOT Academy class they have applied for. No applicant will be allowed to assess without a complete physical (LEA-3) including the signed clearance from a licensed physician.
- Applicants who do not pass the mandatory assessment may reapply for the next available BPOT Academy class.
- Should any of first 60 applicants with complete applications fail the mandatory assessment they will be dropped from the class and may apply for the next academy class. Academy staff will then fill any vacancies from the waiting list with the first available applicant who submitted a complete application package and passed the mandatory assessment.
Incomplete applications will be returned to the agency, and may cause a delay in enrolling students in the training programs.
A COMPLETE application package MUST have been received by and reviewed by the Basic Training Bureau by 8:00 a.m. on the day before the mandatory assessment. Applicants WILL NOT be allowed to assess if a application has not been received by Bureau staff, reviewed and determined to be COMPLETE by the deadline. Applicants with incomplete application packages will be scheduled for the next available Basic Police Officer Training (BPOT) Academy class.
* Schedules were current at the starting date of each BPOT class, however adjustments are made on an ongoing basis. Once a BPOT class graduates a final schedule is published reflecting all interim changes.
**BPOT Academy applicants not meeting the fitness entry standard two weeks prior to attending will not be allowed to attend that BPOT Academy and will be moved to the application process for the next BPOT class. Please refer to the BPOT Entrance Fitness Requirements for the entry standards. These standards were adopted by the NMLEA Board on September 3, 2014 and supersede previous standards for academies which have not conducted mandatory assessments or begun classes prior to September 3, 2014.
Remedial Training Schedule
The Basic Academy Training Bureau schedules remedial training on an as-needed basis. The student in need of remedial training will be scheduled and notified of said training with the cost of the training being billed to the student’s agency. Occasionally, remedial training is scheduled during the student’s scheduled academy training if staff, facilities, and time are available. If this approach is used, it could result in student and staff overtime.